• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

While I don't completely agree with the video, and would say it puts too much emphasis and marketing and too little emphasis on difference between men and women when it comes to video game preference, it's here:

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

I was about to correct myself that I meant games that appealed to everyone with Mario and such, but I realized I already said they were games with no gender focus. I don't think many big titles have really gone for the female demographic while many have gone for the male demographic. Just look at "Wet"--all the posters focus a girl is sexy clothing who looks vaguely turned on and the f-ing title is Wet.

I watched an video that argued more women don't play video games for the same reason they don't go to Hooters. Games have always been seen as a boys club and women continue to feel excluded, especially when the only pictures they see of women in games are bikini wearing girls on covers, or photographs of promo models (also in bikinis) or implied nudes with women strategically covering up with controllers. That's really another issue entirely.

A few articles I read made interesting points about Lara Croft. The designer intended her to be a symbol of female power but over the years she appeared in tons of pixilated nude/implied nude pictures in magazines which gave her a sex symbol role she can't break free of. Of course, the big cans help.

I think the biggest reason why we don't have any obviously female aimed titles is that women are far more likely to play a game aimed at men than the reverse. Socialization deems that boys who are feminine are sissies while girls who are masculine are just tomboys.

Protagonists don't need to be male or female. I think a neutral male protagonist is better than a hypersexualized female protagonist when it comes to games women would like.

The point of my article is that we need more games that appeal to everyone, including women, and less games that draw gender lines.

No offense Brian, but I don't think you have a sufficient background in feminism, gender differences, or marketing to make claims about what kind of entertainment women like.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

That does bring up an interesting question that isn't often asked. What does a game designed specifically for women look like? Do we go as far as pointing out something like "Barbie Horse Adventures" because it's based on a property enjoyed by mostly young women? Or would a game like Tomb Raider be more along those lines if someone finally put that skank in some long pants and a decent shirt?

For a game to appeal to women (or be designed with them specifically in mind), what are the attributes that must appear?
    -Does the protagonist have to be female? Many male oriented games have female main characters.
    -Does it have to be non-violent? While generally less violent then men, women are still rather aggressive. Violence is (sadly) built into all humans.

As you mentioned, many nintendo games can fall into a friendly, neutral category here. And even though women enjoy them, so do men and children. And that's the problem with using something like Mario as an example. It's no help as it tells you less about what women like, and more about what people like.

I suppose one way would be to find out what games currently on the market have been designed either by women or by female heavy dev teams.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

Right but I think the point of your article was that women need more...meaty...games made specifically for them (or at the very least, not to the exclusion of). Casual games are all well and good, but should we really limit our ambitions by saying "women have casual games...that's good enough." I would hope not.

I guess, in the end though, I don't care for gender divisions in my gaming. A girl that is just as comfortable playing the Sims as she is playing Splinter Cell is my kinda lady. I don't avoid games with a female protagonist or games without violence. So why should we encourage women to feel slighted by the abundance of male protagonists and violence? Let's expect a more mature response from female gamers, and maybe they will live up to it.

As a final random thought, I think more women like entertainment like "The 300" and the new "Spartacus" than men. And those are ultra-violent with a VERY macho sensibility. Another small example of why I don't buy into the false dichotomy.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

I agree with you Chase. I think games are much more gender focused than they used to be. A lot of it is due to better graphics making graphic violence easier. There was a greater tendency for enemies to just disappear when you killed them back in the day. I can think of a ton of games that are 5 or 10 years old that were not gender focused: Spyro the dragon, Mario anything, Crash, Banjo Kazooie, DDR, Legend of Zelda, etc, but can think of very few new additions in the last few years other than music games and new installments of these older series. Of course there were graphically violent, and male skewing games back in the day but there was also less of a tendency to put scantily clad women on the covers of video games.

As far as women who play mostly non casual games I would guess the female-male ration is about 30/70.

As far as money goes, casual games are around 1/4 of the market, substantial enough that game developers should care about them. They don't make as much money as games like Call of Duty but they also cost substantially less to produce, so the right casual game will make as much as a popular non casual game when it comes to return on investment.

• First Shot: Backbreaker   3 years 41 weeks ago

Glad to see a sports game is finally trying that euphoria physics engine. I question whether every tackle will be totally unique but when I saw the tech demo a while back I eagerly waited for it to be put to use in a video game. Good stuff.

Here's the tech demo:

• Review: Lost Planet 2   3 years 41 weeks ago

Chase, if what you say is true, all I can offer is this:

Thank God I did not play the original Lost Planet.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

Actually, if you look at the development of games over the last couple of decades, games went from being rather gender neutral to becoming much more gender specific. And competitiveness has less to do with gender as it does with the nature of the competition, evolutionarily speaking that is. In evolutionary psychology both sexes are in competition with their peers as far as survival and mate selection are concerned. Men naturally excel at certain tasks while women excel at others. Men are better at long distance navigation then women and women are better at short range, landmark based navigation then men. These relate to those skills needed to survive. Men would travel for days following prey while women would hunt and gather near the camp. So while men needed to be able to find their way home, women needed to be able to search and map out the terrain around their home. While these traits come though even today, they can often be overcome by sociological norms.

The problem with games not directly appealing to women (or not enough games doing so) lies more in the area of marketing. Games are aimed more towards male gamers because developers know that that's what works. It requires zero creativity and little risk. Look at the recent announcement from Capcom.
    They've decided that because sales for Bionic Commando and Dark Void sucked here in the states, they would no longer be trying out new franchises over here. They're blaming the changing nature of the gaming industry over here, rather then the fact that both of those games sold poorly because they were badly designed and written.

Then look at Japanese based game companies vs. western based game companies, and then look at the cultures. One culture realizes how broad and versatile video games are as a medium, while the other (us) still thinks of them as something kids play. On the other hand, one culture is heavily focused on women's rights; while the other is roughly 20 years behind the first in that regard (I'll let you guess which is which).

I'm also going to have to agree with Crystal on the female gamer thing. I've lived all over the place (though I will admit that I tend to befriend similar types of people) and I've known alot of female gamers. I don't know if the numbers are right and it's 60%, but its still a sizable portion. So why aren't there more female oriented games? Laziness. Game developers don't like risk. This is especially so, given the rising cost in production for mainstream games. However, casual games are cheaper and easier to make right? And they're growing if popularity. Well, if women are playing more casual games then maybe that's why they're selling so well. Perhaps this boom in casual gaming is female gamers making themselves heard.

As for the sex thing. Crystal's closer to being correct, but not quite. Turns out both men and women are pretty kinky. The difference is that each group thinks they're the kinkier one. It's all to do with men being more honest about sex when talking with men (because they're not having to worry about scaring off potential mates) and women doing the same thing.
    The idea that women are less sexual or kinky is based on the changes that occurred during the Victorian Era. Maid Marian became a bland, sexless princess waiting for Robin Hood to rescue her, and histories were actually changed to fit the morals of the time. Before that women were actually considered the kinkier and more sexual of the genders.

• Review: Monster Hunter Tri   3 years 41 weeks ago

...Oops, the tag under the pic of Tidus is supposed to say "I’ve got a thing for girls with SHORT hair." Thus insinuating that he looks more like a young Meg Ryan then an actual man, while at the same time using my heterosexuality as the but of a joke.

For other people's hateful comments on my heterosexual nature, here's the thread over at gamefaqs that was spawned by this article.

Enjoy.

• Review: Lost Planet 2   3 years 41 weeks ago

I recently got the chance to play a little of Lost Planet 2 and having played the first game I'm sorry to say that with all of it's flaws, this is actually an improvement on the first game.

The first game had you sloughing (slophing, sluushing...ok wading) though 2-3 feet of snow for most of the game and it FELT like you were wading through 2-3 feet of snow. Not a whole lot of fun that.

There was also this critically stupid bug where the button you hit to pick up a new weapon in a mech was the same button you used to get in and out of said mech. So if it wasn't lined up just right, instead of picking up that minigun, you'd propel yourself right out of the mech and into a boss's mandibles.

As for the big glowy, “Shoot Here” spots, I’m not surprised. It seems as though games are being made for dumber and dumber audiences every year.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

Well, your female friends are not the average then, I would say. Which is to be expected since you are young and based out of New York City.

Casual games are, indeed, what most women play. And while I don't think casual games are "worse" than hardcore games, they certainly are not the big money makers. To put it another way, we have yet to find the "Modern Warfare" for women. You could make the case that the Sims is that. But since you can't really draw many conclusions from that fact, the way forward is still pretty unclear. Much as men have spent an eternity trying to "figure women out", I predict so too will the game industry.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

If you are to believe many statistics, women are actually 60% of the game market, but do tend to play more "casual" games than men. Real "gamers" tend to insult casual games (and that is another issue) but they can be fun, original, and strategic, as well as very profitable for the companies who make them. You could easily call Tetris a casual game and it is (in most people's opinions) one of the greatest games of all time.

I think a lot of people have ideas on how to appeal to female gamers, as well as people outside the young adult to middle aged range. Most of these ideas are simply under-represented. And I'd also never argue against the point that the main steam in any industry lacks creativity and the desire to re-invent anything.

As far as sex goes, I have to disagree. I know more kinky ladies than fellows (though I suppose most guys wouldn't tell me about their kinks) and I am the kinkier one in my relationship.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

Honestly, because "female gamers" is a relatively new phenomenon, I would say that the market is yet to be defined. Put another way, it's not about developers missing the boat, it's that the boat is still just a pile of wooden planks. Female gamers, by in large, aren't really their own identity yet. Their tastes aren't sophisticated and their experience isn't very deep. Most female gamers just end up playing whatever their boyfriends get them to play.

It's like sex. Sure there are some women that know what they like and will surprise you. But most just rely on the man to think up the kinky ideas and they are just along for the ride.

Now, this will change as time goes on (probably very quickly...in 5 years, who knows). But as of right now, I doubt anyone has a clear idea of "how to appeal to female gamers" in the future.

• Corpse Run 004 by Alex Di Stasi   3 years 41 weeks ago

I for one, hate that stupid Fox football robot. If I ever see that thing in a Madden game I will rage.

• Review: Split/Second (PS3)   3 years 41 weeks ago

11 tracks? Really? That's extremely disappointing.

• Shuffle Time 002 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 41 weeks ago

Girl in square 3- adorable
    guy in square 3- looks like Shaine Dawson

girl in square 1- sinister looking NOT cute

i like your art style thou :)

• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier   3 years 41 weeks ago

scopes still don't use mac- ha!

• Shuffle Time 002 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 41 weeks ago

Have to agree...it looks like you spend way more time on your art than most web comics. Great looking stuff!

• Blur Commercial: Hilarity & Hypocrisy   3 years 41 weeks ago

I think it all hinges on the execution...which is what I'm gathering you meant by "playing with fire". I think if done poorly, mocking the competition can come off as petty and desperate. If, on the other hand, the mocking is done skillfully and cleverly, it can really serve put things into perspective. Does the Blur ad succeed? It does with me, but it's entirely subjective.

The main goal of the ad was to say "Doesn't Mario Kart look like only preteens would play it? Why are you still playing that kiddie stuff when you could be playing an adult game?" That message either connects (as it did for me...though they were probably preaching to the choir) or it falls flat because you either reject the premise ("Mario Kart IS an adult game!") or you are insulted that the mocking even took place ("Hey I like Mario Kart! Screw you Blur!") It's a calculated risk, to be sure.

• Blur Commercial: Hilarity & Hypocrisy   3 years 41 weeks ago

Ah well, can't please them all.  Don't get me wrong, I thought the commercial was hilarious, but I consider mocking the competition to be playing with fire.

Commercials like this often turn me off to the product it advertises. If they need to attack to competition to be successful, what does that say about the game itself?  How come the merits of the product aren't strong enough to shine on their own?

• Blur Commercial: Hilarity & Hypocrisy   3 years 41 weeks ago

Personally, I love it when an ad has the balls to out another product for whatever reason. And I actually really dug this ad.

I don't think it was hypocritical in the slightest because it wasn't saying anything about the gameplay. It was talking about the tone. And tonally, Mario Kart is Fisher Price. That's not to say that Blur is better or worse. But it's certainly trying to be more adult. It also does a great job of showing you exactly what to expect. It says "Take the gameplay of Mario Kart and make it "cooler" because you are racing realistic looking cars in a city". The juxtaposition (and subsequent Mario Kart bashing) also effectively cuckolds the Nintendo product in very few lines.

I think I like this ad for all the reasons you don't like it. :)

• Shuffle Time 002 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 42 weeks ago

Lizzy, your art work is absolutely stunning. Keep it up!

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2- Gameplay   3 years 42 weeks ago