• E3: Preview: Rage   3 years 38 weeks ago

I'm not even sure why post apocalyptic settings are so appealing.  Everything's destroyed, everything is brown and gray...even Fallout 3, an incredibly creative game, got drab after a while.

• Crazy Eddie's Steam Sale!   3 years 38 weeks ago

This is awesome.  Too bad I already own these games...

• E3: Preview: Rage   3 years 38 weeks ago

I would have to agree that it doesn't deserve Best in Show.  It's almost as if they wanted it to be best, came in hoping it would be best, and then decided not to let themselves down and call it best anyway.  But honestly, you can watch videos and see for yourself, it looks fun but unoriginal, and that's all I'm trying to get across.

• E3: Playstation 3: Looking Back and Forward   3 years 38 weeks ago

I actually had forgotten about The Last Guardian. That was a HUGE omission from Playstation's E3 conference.

• The Day No Work Was Done   3 years 38 weeks ago

It's funny you should mention that there must be "something" that's redeeming if so many people like something. I would say the things that people like in "mass appeal" items are the same things I don't like.

Apple, for example: They make things that I think look kind of...delicate? feminine? In any case, their aesthetic doesn't appeal to me. As for the support, I call it a parent holding a child's hand, making sure they don't take dangerous risks, but also making sure they have no actual choices in their lives.

So yes, mass appeal items do contain qualities that boost their sales and popularity. But those same qualities usually repel me.

• Crazy Eddie's Steam Sale!   3 years 38 weeks ago

I'm downloading it as we speak. I'll be sure to put up a review next week!

• Crazy Eddie's Steam Sale!   3 years 38 weeks ago

Bet you are glad you FINALLY have World of Zoo, Rich. I know you were waiting for that one to come down in price.

• Crazy Eddie's Steam Sale!   3 years 38 weeks ago

I just bought the THQ pack actually. All the Red Factions, Company of Heroes, Warhammers, Saints Row 2, the underrated Metro 2033, and Titan Quest for $50? There were more games in there than that too but damn, it's a steal at that price.

Also, my friends have been bothering me to get Killing Floor and they dropped the price to $5 today, so I had to pick that up as well.

It's been a good day.

• The Day No Work Was Done   3 years 38 weeks ago

Well, I do find qualities to admire in eve the most mainstream of things.

I mean if so many people gravitate to something there must be some redeeming quality there.

Except for Ed Hardy.

For example, Apple makes beautiful pieces of tech that has terrific customer support behind it.

Blizzard makes extremely polished, yet safe, games that provide tremendous amounts of entertainment for each dollar spent.  They also support modders and indie game creators.

• Review: Alpha Protocol   3 years 38 weeks ago

See to me, stealth means a little something different than hitting a "now I'm invisible!" button. That's D&D's version of stealth, which is to say, utter crap.

I will grant that real, good stealth mechanics are pretty damn hard to pull off in games. Splinter Cell currently has the best (Metal Gear is also a joke, for those of you keeping score). But it's like Obsidian said early on, "Ok we just aren't going to be able to pull off a decent stealth system...maybe we can give Mike superpowers and call it stealth. No one will know the difference."

Looking back, the game may be way more fun playing as a run-n-gun archetype. But I'll probably never know because I doubt I'll ever feel the desire to go back to it.

• The Day No Work Was Done   3 years 38 weeks ago

I think I'm proud of the fact that the more the unwashed masses like something, the less I like it. Apple? Dislike everything about them. Facebook? Seems to appeal to the attention whores among us. Even Blizzard, the all-powerful PC developer is just a peddler of mediocre rehashings. The funny thing is, I don't dislike these things to be "contrary". It just tends to work out this way and I've only started noticing the pattern recently.

• Review: Alpha Protocol   3 years 38 weeks ago

I found the game very good, i love the stealth elements, though i do think that certain abilities everyone goes for regardless of, if they are stealth based, tech based or just pure firepower should be more closer to the start of the skill tree.

Awareness (Master) for example, which enables you to see all people on the screen, their status, friend or foe, if they are moving and their direction, i think that should be on the 2nd or 3rd stealth skill in my opinion.

Beyond that, the game pretty much rocks, good story, Thorton's sense of humour is refreshing, not many games have humour in it unless the game is specifically designed to make you laugh.

I tend to never over-hype a game, then i can never give negative reviews because i was disappointed from overhyping the game.

• Henry Kissinger Plays a Round of Magic   3 years 38 weeks ago

The real paper version of MTG, Rise of the Eldrazi, actually encourages this type of gameplay, a sort of "battlecruiser" Magic.

Because of how the AI is in the computer game, standoffs like the one described above happen very often.  I think the AI values not losing a creature too highly.

Makes for some really exciting matches.

Anyway, cool to see some MTG coverage on the site.

Started playing the actual card game because of DotP on XBLA.

• Kirby's Epic Yarn is so Yarny   3 years 38 weeks ago

i like this

• Henry Kissinger Plays a Round of Magic   3 years 38 weeks ago

Commenting on my own entry...it's kinda cool how in the first picture, it almost tricks your eye into believing that it's a real table with real cards. Must be the effect of taking a picture of a TV screen with a digital camera.

• Kirby's Epic Yarn is so Yarny   3 years 38 weeks ago

Like I said in my post, KIRBY TANK. That is all that matters right now.

• Kirby's Epic Yarn is so Yarny   3 years 38 weeks ago

While I love the artistic design of the game, I'm a bit saddened that Kirby's lost his signature power-stealing ability. The last time he was without it was, what, the original Kirby's Dream Land on the game boy? I guess the new concept of Kirby having a ton of abilities all at once could work. Looking forward to trying it out!

• Dissenting Opinion: Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers   3 years 39 weeks ago

Yeah I learned long ago that for my own sanity, I had to go into every game reminding myself "Ok, what does this game set out to do? Does it accomplish this goal?" If it does, then I'm usually pretty happy with the experience. I used to idealistically hope for "the best" implementation of every game, but I found myself constantly disappointed. I just found the best way to cope was to get inside the mind of the developer and ask "did I meet the goals of the project?" I think Stainless Games met their goals. Though I agree, they set the bar pretty low ;)

The best part of the game to me was the challenges; the later ones were real brain benders and did a great job of showing off the subtlety in the game's strategy. Agree entirely on needing more deck building in the game. Pre-constructed decks made sense for someone new to magic, but I can't image why they would not let veterans tinker with the card set and make their own decks.

For the MTG hardcrores, though, I recommend trying out Apprentice. The interface is ugly but it's free access to all cards and lets you build your dream deck. I mostly used it to play the openings for deck ideas I had. Back when I was MTG obsessed, anyway.

I think what bothered me about this game was the simplicity vs. what could have been done. With this lvl of simplicity, deck custimization should have been included. The cards are little more than a line of values that could probably fit on a line of an excell spreadsheet and a scan of the card's original art. So limiting the cards was just a poor move in my opinon.

What got me about the price is the fact that at the moment I'm a poor grad student and I have to budget my games. Well $9.99 doesn't seem like a huge amount but then if you look at what else is available for $9.99 on Steam, there's alot of much better stuff out there.

That aside, I like this. This point/counterpoint thing has potential. ^^

• Corpse Run 009: Can you feel the excitement?   3 years 39 weeks ago

I've never been able to quite understand Nintendo fanboyism....until this comic. Now it all makes sense. They are all little girls receiving ponies. Awesome.

• E3: Preview: Rage   3 years 39 weeks ago

Best in show? Really? See, that's just one of the reasons why I don't go to IGN for video game news.

• E3: Preview: Rage   3 years 39 weeks ago

I'm starting to wonder just what the hell the guys over at IGN are thinking. Everything in your preview sounds, exactly as you say, rehash and trite. How did IGN think this game was "Best in Show" at E3? I mean, it's hard to declare a big winner of E3 since most of the game all pretty much looked the same (maybe Civ 5?), but it certainly seems that Rage is among the worst in show.

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 39 weeks ago

You would think that, but people text each other using smaller keyboards than that. But seriously, if you are going to this much trouble to play something that desperately needs a keyboard, just get a damn computer already. Talk about pissing into the wind.

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 39 weeks ago

Is that keyboard actually plausible? I mean, there must be typos galore with keys that small and little space between them, right?