• Corpse Run 031: I will not Kinect it, Sam I am!   3 years 49 weeks ago

Alex your twisted world frightens me. So many people being jabbed with sharp pokey things. *shiver*

• Mega Man Universe Gameplay Teaser   3 years 49 weeks ago

Interesting little tidbit about Hadoukens in Mega Man games. In Mega Man X, you can get a Hadouken ability after you get all the heart containers, E-Tanks, and upgrades and reach a certain point in the Armored Armadillo stage 4-5 times. The Hadouken is activated by doing a quarter-circle punch, just like in Street Fighter, but in Mega Man X is can only be used when you have full HP. The Hadouken kills any enemy (except for the final final boss) in one shot.

In Mega Man X2, there is another similar powerup which is even harder to get. Instead of a Hadouken, you get the Shoryuken, which also kills anything in one hit.

• Review: Burn Zombie Burn   3 years 49 weeks ago

On the PC it feels like a console port. So I thought...um...ya know...that it might be...better?

*banging head on wall*

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

• Review: Burn Zombie Burn   3 years 49 weeks ago

I don't know why you thought that going from mouse and keyboard to two thumb sticks would be BETTER controls :P

• Mafia 2 - First Shot   3 years 49 weeks ago

I'm glad I could get this first impression out talking about this particular aspect that bugged me, because in the full review (will be up very soon) I had to grapple with far more serious flaws in the game. I'll give you a hint right now: Do not buy this game. Thanks for reading though!

• Mafia 2 - First Shot   3 years 50 weeks ago

Well... your review of this game may seem pretty harsh to some but I happen to think that honesty is definitely the best policy. I am sure you have given them something to think about for the future.

Le casino en ligne sur lequel je mise mes fonds de jeu doit être doté de la meilleure table de roulette et verser les pourcentages les plus élevés.

• Like Video Games? Like Drinking? Live in the NYC Area?   3 years 50 weeks ago

What could be better than video games and drinking? I'd like this place a little more if it had a shuffleboard table as well.

• Free Medal of Honor Xbox 360 Beta codes!   3 years 50 weeks ago

The popular video game series “Medal of Honor” has become a target of derision because of the latest installment. The games are set in World War II, as a first person shooter. This can be the first not set in that war. Though not new to video games as a whole, the new "Medal of Honor" is set in Afghanistan. In multi-player mode, gamers can be either coalition forces (United States of America, U.K., etc.) or the Taliban in “Medal of Honor 2010.” The Minister for Defense of the United Kingdom has called for the game to be banned.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

To a certain extent, yes.

If you build a dam overlooking a town and use it to supply power to the town and its neighbors, then that dam is yours. If you find out it's going to be stolen away from you by the government, you have a right to be pissed off. But if you dynamite the dam out of spite, releasing the flood waters upon the town, killing the townsfolk and rendering the survivors homeless, then you have become a greater monster than those who sought to steal what you owned.

And that's what d'Anconia and Galt do. They set up the collapse and encourage it. And when Wyatt sets fire to his oilfields ablaze (think the first Gulf War) he not only dooms the looters that drove him to flee, but everyone else in the area. Industry in that region collapsed and when that happens so stores and the banks. Morgages are called in and you end up with the "Grapes of Wrath". Remember, d'Anconia doesn't just destroy his mines, he lies about their yeild. He promises that they actually have metal within them in order to trap the looters and in order to set off the collapse.

Though I don't think this is a point we'll be agreeing upon anytime soon. *shrug*

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

The key point you miss is that they only destroyed their own property. Do people not have a right to do what they want with their own property? You keep making implications that they owed something to the country. They owed nothing, including oil fields or copper mines. Burning down their own buildings is basically saying "You won't exploit the fruits of my labor and my mind". There is nothing unethical about that UNLESS you assume that they owe others something. You clearly do think that the great minds and hard workers in our society owe something to the rest of us. To me, that's just taking the best of us and making them slaves. Morally and ethically repugnant.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

Yes they question it CONSTANTLY, but then they give in and flee. The evil they do isn't deciding not to be part of the society, it's in their decision to contribute to it's downfall. I'm not talking about the damage caused by their departure, but in their active efforts to exacerbate the process. I'm talking about Wyatt setting fire to the oilfields before he leaves, cripling industy in the area and setting others up to expereince the crush of economic collapse on them and their families. Or Francisco d'Anconia's lies about the copper mine and all of his efforts to trap and punish "looters", which also cause pain and suffering to everyone else financially connected to them.

It's not that they leave, nor the effects their dissapearance has upon the country, but that they actively work to collapse the world rather than 1) try to fix it, or 2) just leave. And while they are not beholden to anyone but themselves, by doing this they cause more death, misery and human suffering than James Taggart, Dr. Simon Pritchett, or any of the other looters. While the innovators and geniuses have the oppertunity to flee to Atlantis, it's the 132 million other American citizens they leave behind to suffer and die. It's one thing to leave on your own, it's another to (metaphorically speaking) poison the reservoir on the way out of town. Especially when you know that doing so will kill alot of innocent people.

But looking back on this thread, I think we've wandered a bit off topic.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

See this is how I know you missed the point of the book. A large part of the story is spent dealing with exactly what you pointed out. At first glance, it seems like backwards logic for these people to quit. That's why it takes so long for Dagny, and especially Rearden, to realize why they have to. The logic is sound, though, when you think it through, because of one key concept: the sanction of the victim. The reason the world was crumbling around them (and is crumbling around us, currently, for that matter) is because they were complicit in it. They were playing by the looters and moochers rules. And it didn't matter how hard they worked or how much they wanted to succeed, when the people in power can make laws any time they want that drain you of your livelihood, you must go on strike, or find some other way to avoid their corrupt system.

But if you want a character that fights to the bitter end, Eddie Willers is your man. The last we see of him, he's banging on a train engine in the middle of the wilderness trying desperately to get it to run. He's the man that agrees with EVERY principle of Rand but, like you, can't quite put the dots together to realize that you can't build your train tracks on ground made of quicksand. He still wants to believe that somehow, someway, everything they worked for can be salvaged. But it can't be. Not as long as the looters and moochers exist and are in power in Washington.

As for them being evil for leaving, you are echoing the sentiments of the "bad guys" of the book. Calling them evil for simply deciding not to be a part of a particular society implies that they OWED that society something. It's saying "you are really smart or really productive...you better make cool inventions for us/find a way to feed us/keep the trains running!". I don't think I need to point out how wrong that line of thinking is.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

Oh dear god am I biased in this! You got me right with that one. ^_^

But at it's core, I can't say that I disagree with some of the main attributes of Objectivism.

I just disagre whole heartedly with Rand's version or it and how she depicts everyone else. In order to follow their ideals by "leaving", they cause more pain, destruction and suffering than would ever have been possible otherwise. I liked Dagney, but the moment she hits Atlantis, her character falls apart and she wants to be nothing other than Galt's diciple. No one in that book (other than her up to that point) is willing to say "No" to Galt. No one is willing to stand up for their beliefs, instead deciding to run away.

Also, the concept of going on strike to force people to change is somewhat antithetical to the concepts they claim to be following.

I like my science fiction to make some sense and for authors to depict human reactions realisticly, and up to a point I liked that in Rand's book. I loved Hank Rearden and I loved what she did with the character. But I hated how even he quit when faced with Galt.

These people were actively creating a new Dark Age. They weren't just running away, they were burning their bridges behind them and setting the world to collapse. When you get right down to it the whole point was to destroy the world and come back afterwards to fix it in the hope that it would inspire these prized attributes. However, by doing this they really become far more evil and despicable than even the worst of the book's villains. They were no different then those who sought to destroy the human spirit by binding it with debt, guilt, and embarrassment. They were worse as their continued efforts intentionally lead to death, sadness and misfortune.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

Wow...well there ya go. You bias is telling you that Levine and Irrational Games were mocking Rand, even though he himself has said in many interviews that he agrees with much of Objectivism.

And as a side note, I agree that the GOP are just as guilty of not being Objectivists as the Dems. Both parties want to control people (using religion and socialism, respectively). What the GOP says or doesn't say has absolutely nothing to do with Objectivism itself and I think you probably realize how irrational it is to redirect your blame from the GOP to Obecjtivism. Do you also hate elephants because they chose that animal as their symbol?

I will say, though, that your understanding of Objectivism is superficial, at best. People can be Objectivists and not be raving assholes. In fact, the "American dream" is basically Objectivist and most people living in this country agree with pretty much all of the core concepts, even if they don't realize it. The core values are "There is an objective reality" (A=A) and "everything in life is earned" (including trust, friendship, love, etc). These aren't radical ideas, they are just basic, fundamental principles which most people, through their own weaknesses, fail to adhere to in their daily lives.

Rand may have been obsessed with the "perfect man" but I don't blindly follow whatever Rand happened to spew out. She also thought that women were supposed to be the "submissive" in every sexual encounter. The ideals are what is important, not a certain person's kinks. No one is a perfect Objectivist 24/7, including Rand, but that's not a flaw in the ideals, it's a flaw in people.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

I wouldn't say it proves that Objectivism is a failure, but rather that it presents a way in which the philosophy fails to account for human nature. There are alot of philisopical paths like that, which base themselves upon how man can be "perfect" or live the "ideal" life, but fail to take into account core concepts of humanity that, while negative, define what it means to be human.

My argument is that whatever the state of the philosophy may be, Bioshock is based upon mocking that philosphy and it's story builds out of how it could fail. Especially since the main theme of the game is how this philosophy failed in this given circumstance.

On a personal level though, I hate objectivism, which is why I loved Bioshock as much as I did. Mainly it's because I hate how Rand presented the philosophy in Atlas Shrugged and I hate how neocons keep whipping it out as though it were some sort of conservitive constitution when they themselves represent the sort of bickering and bitching parasites that drove the geniuses to go on strike and who would have been the first to go up against the wall when the country fell. It's like a pro communist group telling everyone to read Animal Farm because it's a great example of communism at work. Personally, I'm glad the bitch is dead.

I'm also glad very glad William Faulkner is dead, but also sad as that means I can never run him down with my Toyota.

• Rainwave: Streaming Video Game Music   3 years 50 weeks ago

This is really excellent to know about the particular information given above.
    Music has been a big part of games. Specially like video games because without music games are play less. The whole interest for playing games comes from music. There were been several games which has been added from earlier till now in the games to make much interest in it. As like that music is not very much but then also it plays an in important part in our life.
    Thanks for sharing this great information with us.
    Keep up your great work always...

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

Well like I said, those that understand what Objectivism is really about know that Rapture was far from the ideals of Rand. If you want to think that Bioshock proves Objectivism is a failure of a philosophy, that's fine, but in reality all it proves is that those people weren't really Objectivists. The second they stole from others or harmed others, they gave up that claim. I could debate this with you ad infinitum, but this isn't the place for it. Hit me up on Steam if you want to continue it :)

• Press Pass: Blogging by the Numbers   3 years 50 weeks ago

Being a new blog can sometimes suck. I will admit we didn't break the news but when the Halo Reach ending first popped up we were quick to report it. We got first page on Google when you typed Halo Reach ending and got about 100 uniques soon after. Several hours later the bigger sites finally wrote something about it and kicked us off the first page. I don't think we're even 10th page now. It seems unfair but I guess that's just the magic of Google.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

Bioshock starts off with Rapture being founded on the ideals Ayn Rand based Atlas Shrugged upon. That a world in which the individual is not free to create is doomed. Though I can't consider it a great work as her inspiration was a bitchfest following her editor telling her that after The Fountainhead she "owed it to her fans" to write another book. What partially inspired Atlas Shrugged was her reposnse of basicaly, "I don't own them shit" (not an actual quote).

Where I had problems with Atlas Shrugged was in it's complete failure to understand human existance and nature. Anyone with the least bit of altruistic intent is depicted as a monster who only wants to destroy the life and soul of those around them (the 3 siblings that ran the car company into the ground after turning it into a commune). On the other hand, in Galt's Gulch (ie: Atlantis) people live in harmony dispite the situation. One man proclaims that he ran the electric company in the town until another more skilled electrician showed up and started another company. He was driven out of buisness by the new guy and now worked for him and he was HAPPY about it. He was thrilled to get to work with the other guy. In reality, if you put a bunch of type A personalities in a community based on pure competitiveness, you'd end up with a pile of corpses by the end of the week.

Bioshock mocked Atlas Shrugged. It starts off like the "paradise" of Galt's Gulch, but then human nature and the realities of the world set in. You need workers to build everything (even in the gulch) not just skill, but manpower/numbers. And they aren't going to be able to compete. Then you have the geniuses and industrialists. Just because Rearden was a metallurgical genius and a nice guy to boot, doesn't mean every super successful master industrialist will be. And then there's the infighting. People competing for power, fame, money, life and then no form of government, no police force, nothing at all in place to stop them from stealing and killing one another. There are good people out there and there are bad, and geniuses aren't all good people. Ryan is Rand and Galt, and it's his naivete about humanity that allows it to fall, and that allows him to speed along its death.

The fall of Rapture is the collapse of Rand's Atlantis and all it stood for. To the extent that when you finally meet Andrew Ryan face to face, the encounter ends with them spitting in the face of everything it stood for. That line "A man chooses, a slave obeys" represents the key point of Atlas Shrugged, and what's the response? "WRONG!"

• First Shot: Monday Night Combat   3 years 50 weeks ago

i don't even care what you have to say b/c i'm obsessssed with wcgultimate gamer on syfy - an hour full of hannah simone and joel gourdin makes my world go round and round. i am the total package when it comes to gaming. i am skilled across every genre but am best at wwe smackdown vs. raw b/c i am a superstar in real life - a real life diva. can't wait for tomorrow night!!!! i think it's a wii episode. yyay! shabam!

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

I disagree that Bioshock mocked Atlas Shrugged. I'm an Objectivist myself, and I thought Bioshock was a great homage to AS. Bioshock is, in part, the story of how an Objectivist (Andrew Ryan) became paranoid, insane, threw away his principles, and created the very thing he was trying to flee. Anyone who truly understand what Objectivism is and what Atlas Shrugged is about will tell you that Bioshock only starts out with Objectivist ideals. But pretty quickly, those ideals are abandoned in favor of the evils of theft (absolutely abhorrent to a real Objectivist) and harming others (even MORE abhorrent). Andrew Ryan, if he was ever even a real Objectivist, certainly disqualified from the title almost immediately upon the founding of Rapture.

But to answer your question, American Exceptionalism, seems to be the theme of Infinite. And just like Bioshock, I expect Levine and company to start with the actual premise and then pretty quickly warp that idea into something ugly and counter to the ideals. I am definitely an Objectivist, but I'm not sure I would consider America or Americans exceptional, at least not inherently. We aren't born exceptional, we have to earn it, like everything else in life. Most Americans don't earn it and lots of immigrants do. But I will say that it's REALLY hard to be exceptional in every other corner of the world. If you are going to be exceptional, America is the place to...at least for now.

• Review: Starcraft 2   3 years 50 weeks ago

Ah Blizzard: masters of the mediocre. Even if they got it right the first time and everything about Starcraft 1 is perfect. Even if the unwashed masses just want the same game again with updated graphics and a few token additions. Even if all of that were true, they get absolutely no adulation from me. Blizzard has never invented, revolutionized or even evolutionized a genre. They are the Hollywood of game designers: giving people the same thing they've seen before a dozen times. The best thing you can say about them is that their balancing/QA is top notch, but even then, if other developers had the infinite time that Blizzard takes to make games, their QA and balancing would be just as good.

I'm not saying Blizzard is evil or wrong for what they do. They are doing what they SHOULD be doing, namely taking as much money from us as they can and I totally respect and applaud that. No, I'm saying we, as gamers, have our collective bar set WAAAAAY too low. When we don't demand freshness and invention from designers, we get mediocrity. This game is a retread. A pretty one, no doubt, but just a retread.

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

I think the setting is less geared towards realism and more towards steampunk. The time period fits perfectly with that genre. Then again I'm not too interested in the realism of the settings. It does seem that the shift to an airborne city isn't a hugely interesting leap, but then again, is there anything they could have done that would have been? Maybe Rapture in the modern day? The invasion of the land by the splicers in the evil endings? A city underground? A city in space? Considering the material, I get the feeling that any change of venue wouldn't be hugely surprising. It's hard to top a city under the ocean.

I'm less interested in the setting as I am in the inspiration. Bioshock was inspired by Atlas Shrugged and in many ways it was designed to mock everything that book stood for. So the big question for me is "what, if any, is the inspiration for Bioshock Infinate?"

• Bioshock Infinite Debut Trailer   3 years 50 weeks ago

This game seems to stretch plausibility to the breaking point. Bioshock knew its premise was ludicrous, but A) it was a secret place that only the brightest minds escaped to (ala Galt's Gulch) and B) the fantastical technology was only possible because all (or at least many) of the world's geniuses were in one place.

This just seems like "Oh yeah that city in the sky...what's its name? Columbia? Yeah that's fairly interesting *yawn*"

It's an even MORE technologically advanced city that is built some 30-40 years before Rapture? If Rapture was "the impossible", then Columbia is "the ludicrous".

• Neverwinter's going both MMORPG and 4th Ed. next year, and I'm realizing just how cuttable my wrists are these days.   3 years 51 weeks ago

It really depends on which version of the Forgotten Realms you're talking about.

Some games have hit the setting spot on (Baldur's gate mainly) while others have missed the point entirely (the console games Interplay did b4 it collapsed). The Neverwinter Nights games were hit and miss on this subject though as they often had little to do with what had been done before with the setting. Literally, in the old D&D books, there are at most 2 pages of material on the city of Neverwinter. Compared that to the city of Waterdeep to the south which has it's own boxed set and at least 3 other books based on it. Now none of this is including the novels by Salvatore or Greenwood. If FR comes of as generic fantasy, it's probably because it's the foundation upon which countless others have based fantasy settings. The Forgotten Realms have been ripped off almost as much as Middle Earth (which also comes off as generic fantasy for the exact same reason).

I'm far more familiar with the Forgotten Realms as a setting for table-top RPG sessions. In that regard, FR is one of the most detailed, expansive and popular D&D settings out there.

In novels alone, there are about 200+ books based in the FR setting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels

In game books, adventures, and boxed sets that number is around 140+

Why so much? Because for a while FR was a dumping ground for ideas and D&D settings. The 1001 nights based Arabic setting Al-Qadim was based in FR, as was the Oriental Adventures setting, and the South American based Maztica setting (Mayans and Aztecs). At one point TSR (who owned D&D from inception until 1997) released a map program called the "Forgotten Realms Atlas". It was a collection of every map ever made for FR, compiled into a comprehensive map with lesser maps linked to it (click on a town and it would pull up a map of that town). They had over 600 maps taken from all the FR books to work with. 600!

What this represents is the immense amount of time fans and developers have put into the setting, and as a result the appeal of the setting has always been just how massive and complex it is. They had to release 2 books in order to just cover how many gods the setting had. For complexity you have the nations of the Sea of Fallen Stars or even just the labyrinthine politics and feuds of the noble families of Waterdeep. For dark, you have the nation of Thay, which is ruled over by an organization of purely evil mages, the Zentarim who are pretty much just total bastards, or even the cruel manipulation of the Drow city of Menzoberranzan.

And it's often be really difficult for game designers to even begin to carry over all of that into their games. Some have tried really hard, and we got games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Others got a bit lax and the results were fantasy games that felt (as you said) generic. The result has been a setting in the video games that I will admit did feel like it was a bit sophomoric at times, and did no justice to the complexities of the setting.

Hitting the big Reset button on FR for 4th Ed. feels less like them trying to bring new life into the setting, and more like Hasbro pushing them to write more books for it. Perhaps they feel that by destroying everything that's been done before, it will allow new players to start on the same level as the old ones. But in that case wouldn't it have made more sense to have focused on an entirely NEW setting or on one of the newer one like Ebberon (proto-steampunk)?

I love the Forgotten Realms, but personally I'm just glad they've been ignoring my favorite D&D setting since 3rd Ed. came out. Greyhawk. Then again, I gave up on getting anything of value out of Wizards of the Coast after the whole 3.5 hoopla. That's why I switched over to HackMaster a few years ago.