• Nintendo Announces 3DS Launch Titles   3 years 3 weeks ago

Um...wow. They couldn't pop out another Zelda game for the launch? It's not like they're sacred or anything, they've made 17 of em so far. Even then, the one planned for the 3DS for later on is only a remake of Ocarina of Time.

• Corpse Run 080: Divide by zero   3 years 3 weeks ago

That's the girl Alex was referencing. Oh please, will someone help her hair?

• Xenogears arrives on PSN this week to remind gamers what a Good JRPG looks like.   3 years 3 weeks ago

Man Rich, I would've let you borrow it though I always considered selling the game. I've seen it priced up to $150 on eBay. Now that this is being released to the masses, though, it'll be harder to sell this game at a ridiculous price.

Yeah, it's about 70 hours of Chrono Trigger quality JRPG. So buy your girlfriend's "I'm sorry I've been ignoring you for the last month" gift now and save yourself some time.

Yesssss! I always wanted to try this game. I did find a copy of this game at a gaming convention a couple of years ago (I believe it was Noncon?) but they were selling it for $70. I was hoping it would get released on PSN eventually. Awesome.

• Relive 11th Grade English Class with The Great Gatsby Video Game   3 years 4 weeks ago

After the horror that was Eternal Sonata, I'm a little squeemish about games based on historical events, composers, or literature.
    On the other hand, not a bad way to teach kids.

• Shuffle Time 019: C'mon Baby   3 years 4 weeks ago

Also you forgot to mention that all characters involved in JRPG romances are girls. Though your illustration of it does convey that implication.

• Shuffle Time 019: C'mon Baby   3 years 4 weeks ago

Dragon Age: Origins! I knew I should have covered them with excessive amounts of blood splatter

• Shuffle Time 019: C'mon Baby   3 years 4 weeks ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but, that second to last panel... does that reference Fable? Or a different American RPG?

• Corpse Run 077: SAT Words   3 years 5 weeks ago

@Alex: No way! You should leave it that way, I think it's more hilarious.

• Corpse Run 077: SAT Words   3 years 5 weeks ago

Wow, totally didn't notice that until now! Will fix when I get home =P

• Corpse Run 077: SAT Words   3 years 5 weeks ago

Just looking at your first panel, you challenged shirty but no one thought to challenge "thiing?"

• Corpse Run 077: SAT Words   3 years 5 weeks ago

The problem is, your feedback doesn't matter to them. Nature of government-run anything: when there's no bottom-line accountability, there's no incentive to be or do better. Had the same sort of headaches when I lived in DC and used their Metro. And don't even get me started on Amtrak, the biggest government mass transportation failure in history.

• Sony Brings It With NGP, Nintendo Claims It's Already Been Broughten with 3DS   3 years 6 weeks ago

The "people" will most likely decide based on price. If the NGP is priced at more than $300 then the 3DS is sure to get another quick headstart. Sony is very smart for not listing a price yet as it gives them time to measure how big the hype is for their system.

• Corpse Run 073: Buh-dum tissssch   3 years 6 weeks ago

Yours is a fool's dream. A fool's DREAM!!! Muahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I've been loosing all faith in Bethesda not long after Morrowind came out. After that it seemed as though the quality of their games continued to plummet. Skyrim using the new Creation Engine might be a step in the right direction, but while new it is still based on the Gamebryo engine which both Oblivion and the Fallout games used. If I had any faith at all in the studio's ability to design a bug free (or at least bug light) engine, then I'd be excited about it, but until I see it in action I'm not expecting much from it.

The only good news is that they're going to use the Havok Behavior software for character animations instead of the crappy system they were using before. Then again, they're abandoning SpeedTree for an inhouse designed bit of software. SpeedTree is used to create realistic looking plants and trees in games.

• Corpse Run 073: Buh-dum tissssch   3 years 7 weeks ago

I just hope they contract the writing portion of the game off to Obsidian. Bethesda can't make compelling story or characters to save their lives.

• Corpse Run 073: Buh-dum tissssch   3 years 7 weeks ago

YEAHHHHH! I like this comic. I hope that Skyrim will be better than that as well.

• Why Do Games for Girls Suck?   3 years 7 weeks ago

This topic is one that always makes me roll my eyes (the topic, not your piece). Really, any time a minority claims exclusion from something, I'm immediately skeptical. Exclusion from games is even more problematic to prove since it's about personal habits, not institutions (like Golf tournaments excluding women).

I just don't see the sexism that you do. In fact, I see almost worshipful admittance of any girl/woman the second they show interest in "guy games". Just look at how dotingly gamers attach to Jessica Chobot or Olivia Munn. Look at how much attention the averagely-attractive girl gets when she plays Gears of War with the guys. Not only are they not excluded, they are pined for (i.e. "I wish my girlfriend would play games with me").

I place the vast majority of the onus on female culture and it's strict rules of conduct. Whenever I ask a girl why she doesn't play games, or worse yet, why she would never even TRY them, the answer is always something like "that's a guy's domain". It's also invariably said with an air of "oh those silly boys and their toys"...with that little bit of superiority.

This mentality is changing, slowly but surely. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with developers changing their methods, other than maybe offering the player the option of playing as either Hero or Heroine. But once you choose your gender in-game, Fallout New Vegas is JUST as much fun for a woman as it is for a guy (just ask my girlfriend, who got addicted to the game for weeks).

My (way too long) point is, if women want this stigma against gaming changed, it needs to come from the inside out.

• Shuffle Time 001 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 7 weeks ago

@taltamir

>.<

Thanks for catching that. On our old layout the comics could be wide. For now we have a temporary fix where the right sidebar is pushed down. We will find a more elegant solution soon.

• Corpse Run 072: It never is   3 years 7 weeks ago

The Giants hurt themselves in confusion.

• Corpse Run 072: It never is   3 years 7 weeks ago

Hahahaha, well done Alex. Just so you know, Eli Manning tried using Dig in Week 15 against the Eagles. It was also not very effective.

• Shuffle Time 005 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 8 weeks ago

Looks like Red Dead Redemption.

• Shuffle Time 005 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 8 weeks ago

what game is that?

• Shuffle Time 001 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 8 weeks ago

this page is malformed, the sidebar covers half the comic and hides it. I tested in chrome, firefox, and IE8.

It is possible to view by right clicking and selecting "copy image location" and pasting it into a new page (there are several other ways too)

• Top 10 Most Anticipated Games   3 years 8 weeks ago

When you're choosing just ten games to talk about, it's impossible to please everybody. To keep myself from going crazy, I restricted my list to non-expansion games that had firm 2011 release dates and popular appeal and/or were a long time coming. Sadly, this meant I had to leave out Mass Effect 3 (which has a non-specific Holiday 2010 release date at the moment) and many PC titles in niche genres.

In my opinion, each sequel on the list looks to significantly improve on its predecessor(s). (And RAGE is just eye-catching and original.) As someone who really liked the original Dead Space, Dead Space 2 just missed the list; it adds a multiplayer mode but offers no major gameplay changes.

As for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which you could say also has been a long time coming, it's no longer Warren Spector and Harvey Smith's baby. Given Eidos' recent track record, I have to say I'm not very optimistic about the game.

All things considered, everyone has his or her own top 10 list. This one was just mine. Release-wise, 2011 looks to be the biggest gaming year yet. The upcoming hardware that I can hopefully tinker with makes the outlook even sweeter--PSP2, PlayStation Phone, and especially the 3DS. And of course, iOS games will continue to pick up pace. Happy gaming in 2011!